Tuesday 12 November 2013

Tales from Scotland

This weekend was a first Scottish weekend following the Panthers for me. It didn't disappoint, even if certain aspects of the performances did.
 
Kirkcaldy was a little quiet during a visit during the afternoon but as soon as it was hockey time the place became electric. We were greeted by bagpipe players outside the stadium and inside the atmosphere was electric, the closeness to the ice certainly helped with that.
 
There had been a lot of press before the game about packing the barn and it had worked. The Flyers had also made a point of identifying this game as the one that could change their season and their intent was clear from the first whistle. I enjoyed seeing a more physical game of hockey and also witnessed the first fight of the season for Leigh Salters who was a match for Nickerson!
 
It was difficult to argue against Fife taking the points, far too many of our forward line had failed to turn up and the Flyers were well organised and determined. Also, it was bad enough that we had to suffer the pain of conceding an empty net goal (the decision to pull Conway was one that had our travelling party arguing amongst ourselves for quite a while afterwards!), I still cannot understand the logic behind Stevie Lee's decision to fight Fulton.
 
Fulton had been under Lee's skin all game and the game before that in the NIC, but it was clear he didn't want to drop the gloves. The game was lost at this point and all it served to do was make the Panthers even more short benched the following night against the Capitals. Then after that, the less said about the Makela fight the better!
 
But despite the defeat, I have to say that without a doubt a visit to Kirkcaldy is now my favourite away game. The fans were knowledgeable and friendly and it only served to remind me why we love this sport. It was certainly great chatting to Flyers fans in the hotel bar afterwards and hearing their views on the game.
 
When I was thinking about what to write in this blog I was going to comment on why we see very little in the way of fighting at the NIC but have on a number of occasions done so at away fixtures. However the Lee incident has gone some way to answering that, but I would still like to see our guys defend the home ice in the same way Nickerson was doing for the Flyers.
 
On Sunday, with some renewed optimism that we couldn't possibly get beat a second night in a row, we headed to Edinburgh. It was my first time there and it was a beautiful city which was enhanced by a cheeky trip to the Scotch Whisky Experience!
 
I not going to comment too much on the game, we were very short benched and the Capitals played well. The penalty shot was a clear cut decision from me.
 
However on the way home it got me thinking about why the Panthers aren't performing as well as some people, myself included, would like.
 
I know that it is still early days in terms of the league but last season we would have left Scotland with at least 3 points if not all 4. For me there is just a little spark missing at the moment. I know that we are suffering from our fair share of injuries and that means the lines aren't settled, but I think the problem is we are missing leadership on the ice. Corey knows how to win titles so I struggling to see that he would be sending teams out, especially at the NIC, to play without any physicality.
 
Last season Jordan Fox led by example. He produced special moments and he could be relied on to give maximum effort every shift. This season I feel like Clarke is struggling with the weight of captaincy and that is having an effect on his scoring endeavours. He is behind Salters, Ryan and Lachowicz in the points scoring charts and this is made worse by the fact that some fans are calling for Matt Ryan to be gassed.
 
Although I felt like the appointment of Clarke as captain was a sentimental one, I am not suggesting he be replaced at this stage. I was a critic of Clarke but last season he won me round when he became more physical in his play and some of his penalty killing shifts were brilliant. I am looking forward to his testimonial game this evening and I hope he gets the support his efforts with the club deserve.
 
On a separate note, I know I am not blogging as much as I was earlier in the season. As some of you might be aware, I am trying to set up a new fans website (small plug: www.icehockeyfans.co.uk) and this is taking a fair chunk of my time. I am still looking for contributors from all 10 teams and if you know anyone who would be interested please get them to contact me at admin@icehockeyfans.co.uk
 
This weeks Blog From Block 15 award goes to none other than Matt Nickerson of the Flyers. He was possibly spared being named bawbag of the week again by the Caps Banter Army due to the activities down in Cardiff, but he influenced the game well on Saturday night. It was also surprising to see that once he stops 'trying to be a goon' as one Fife supporter called it, he had some decent skills on the puck and it was clear to see that on his night, he has a very positive effect on the Flyers team.

No comments:

Post a Comment